Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Whence the name?

It comes from a conversation with Libby as we skidded our way across Arizona on our way to Southern California, where a new job and a new life beckoned.

As we were both children of South Dakota, we had never been away from a place where you couldn't find pitch black at night on any given evening. I used to stand out on my yard on chilly nights and stare up at the stars and compose bad Star Wars ripoffs in my head, then go into my room and write them down until my parents would yell at me for playing music too loudly.

Even in the big cities in South Dakota, you only have to drive around 15 minutes to a half-hour to find that deep, velvety darkness.

But as we drove through the deserts of Arizona, I realized that we were leaving that forever. I'm not trying to say this is a BAD thing, just a different thing.

And, indeed, one can't escape the light in the megalopolis that is Southern California. I suppose we could if we drove over the mountains for an hour or so and went out into the desert, but who has that kind of time?

Anyway, this is all too nostalgic for something that's supposed to be vaguely witty, but the deep dark of South Dakota dark is vaguely comforting (if you can manage to ignore your fears of Sasquatch, as I had to when I would head out to do farm chores in the early evening), especially if you grew up in it. The constant twilight of the Los Angeles/San Diego/Orange County/Inland Empire area is disconcerting to me, even eerie.

So there you go!

No comments: