Thursday, March 16, 2006

Shawn Ryan interview

Oh, oh, oh! I almost forgot!

Shawn Ryan, who has worked on Nash Bridges and Angel and who has created The Shield and who has executive produced The Unit, is interviewed by NPR here. It's another fascinating look at a fine TV pro. It's also a chance to reflect on the weird fact that a LOT of great TV writers got their starts on Nash Bridges.

I haven't followed The Shield as closely as I should have. There are a lot of flaws there when I watch it, but it's still riveting television. What strikes me most is that Ryan actually thinks his protagonist is worse than he really is. That's probably the right perspective to keep when you're writing for someone as dark as Vic Mackey.

David Mamet comes on at the start for far too short of a time and does some funny stuff involving exposition. He also talks about red states and blue states and the attitudes towards the military and guns.

Good stuff!

No comments: