Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Oh, I am so mad at Lorelai right now: Gilmore Girls, season 6

You get 50 points if you can tell me what the quote above refers to!

And, while we're at it, vote in the best-of-TV survey. On Monday, you don't have to listen to me whine about it anymore!

So. . .goodbye, Palladinos. It was a fine run. We had four great seasons, one pretty good season and one middling season, shot through with occasional brilliance. And wasn't that fun? Aren't we all glad we could put the characters in a box, so it was just that much harder for them to claw their way out of said box? I'm sure the new showrunner LOVES you.

Strangely, though, I'm not bitter about the Palladinos leaving the show they've shepherded for so long. I can see their point-of-view (even if I think an eighth season, which they seemed to want, would have been disastrous). And I'm sure they're bitter about all of the pilots they've been promised that were canceled. And the fact that they've been writing and rewriting EVERYTHING in a show that has scripts that are much longer than average TV scripts. . .well, I can see why they were exhausted.

Still, if you have to leave your baby, do you really need to leave it in such a poor state? The sixth season of Gilmore Girls never completely jumped off the cliff and descended into territory where it was bad, to be precise, but it rarely got up over the mediocre status.

The emotional journey that the central characters went on at the start of the year (when the titular mother and daughter weren't speaking) was an interesting one for the characters, emotionally and psychologically. But it also felt terribly, terribly forced. It felt as though Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan decided it would be interesting to have the two characters endure a separation and THEN decided how to make it happen. It also dragged on a bit too long and didn't find more interesting ways to fill the characters' time.

And then we came to the April arc.

Now, honestly, I'm not THAT huge of a Luke and Lorelai fan. I think their chemistry often feels forced (reportedly, the actors don't like each other all that much). But the April arc felt like even MORE of a convenience, a way to postpone a wedding that the show has been leading up to for some time for another season. (That said, I really like Vanessa Marano, who plays April, and I think she's a nice addition to the cast. I just don't like the way she was added.) I tried to cut the storyline some slack since I liked the actress, but it never really coalesced. It forced all of the characters to behave in ways they wouldn't behave for the convenience of the plot (Lorelai taking something like SIX MONTHS to confront her fiancee about the awful way he's treating her? Really?!).

Gilmore Girls has done big, dramatic stuff well before. But, increasingly, it feels like the show's true strengths are in comedy. And that's where I'll miss the Palladinos most. I'll miss the random Paris Gellar rants. I'll miss the pitch-perfect Gilmore pop culture references. I'll miss bizarre conceits (like the invasion of troubadours) that pay off perfectly.

But I understand why they left. I just think the show will be worse off without them.

Still, good luck getting out of that box, new writers!

1 comment:

David Sims said...

SCRUBS! IT REFERS TO SCRUBS!

I'll comment more when I see the finale/read your article.