Saturday, May 27, 2006

So long, farewell: Charmed

This is the last "so long" post, and it will probably be the shortest (unless I get up the gumption to say so long to Everwood -- that rare beast, an on the bubble show that knows its time is up).

If you've read this blog at all, you know I like genre TV. I love to see storylines with a healthy dollop of fantasy and science fiction.

But, somehow, I never watched Charmed. I can count the number of times I've seen an episode on one hand, and on every occasion, I was focusing on something else and the show was the choice of someone else in the room. Those who liked to watch this show seemed to split into two camps: those who watched it as guilty pleasure and those who liked to look at breasts. Now, I've been known to fall into both camps, but Charmed never grabbed my interest.

I think it's because Charmed always felt (to me) like a watered-down version of other, better genre shows. I know I'm not exactly the best person to be commenting on this, since I haven't seen every episode or anything, but every episode just felt like a laborious reworking of something Buffy had done ten times better many seasons before.

I know the Charmed fans are legion. I know they're scarily devoted. But this was never appointment television for me, and, what's more, it never seemed to be appointment television for any other critical TV thinkers out there.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I'm glad you enjoyed the camp. I'm glad you enjoyed the breasts. To each his own.

No comments: