Friday, July 28, 2006

Hello, Rotiart

No time to write very much, as I have writers block in every direction but one (this is a good thing).

That said, Who Wants to Be a Superhero? is not very GOOD, per se, but it's certainly goofy and executed with a certain elan that makes it fun to watch. When I first heard about the show, I assumed that the contestants would be writing weekly comic books and presenting them to Stan Lee. While that might, conceivably, have been a good "creative people doing creative things" reality show, it had every chance in the world to flop and flop big.

But, instead, this show goes for the literal. The competitors literally are competing to BE SUPERHEROES. And that means running around, having altruistic motives and saving little girls. It's like Comic-Con blew up all over your TV screen.

Part of what makes it work is Stan Lee, someone who always seems to be having a blast (I want Stan to be my roommate -- he'd throw the best parties ever). He really gets in to the role of the secret superhero overlord, shouting down a dance party, explaining the meaning and origin of the word excelsior and calling out people for being on the show just to sell action figures and make lots of money (this information gleaned by his secret spy Rotiart).

Most reality shows build the twists in to the editing, but at least in its pilot, Superhero builds the twists right in to its structure. There's a traitor. And someone gets kicked out in the first 15 minutes of the show. And then the task isn't really the task they thought it was. I'm sure the contestants will wise up (making future seasons of this show unlikely), but for one pilot, it was a great time.

Who's my favorite you ask? Well, my father would kill me if I listed anyone other than Cell Phone Girl, but I personally also enjoyed Major Victory.

I don't know if this show will work over the long haul, but for now, it's a late summer treat. Just the thing for the dog days.

Now go forth and write!

No comments: