Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry/looks like this could be a case for Mulder and Scully: Tuesday gleaning

Didn't get a lot of time to get to much beyond House tonight, but it was sort of worth the effort.

House fought the aliens tonight, and House won. With the help of his wacky team, he figured out why a kid was having vivid alien abduction nightmares AND why the kid kept bleeding uncontrollably from the, er, well, where the kid would be probed. In the meantime, he made one of the show's wackier diagnoses (which basically boiled down to an undetected identical twin lurking in the bone marrow, heart and brain -- no really) and confronted the alarming specter of his leg pain.

As with many episodes of House, this one felt like a filler between the episodes where the writing staff can bend the formula a little and really do something they find interesting. I was a big X-Files fan, so I enjoyed the illness, and I have to admit that the diagnosis wasn't a tumor (finally).

I'm a bit disappointed that the conspiracy to keep House's miracle cure from last week a secret from him crumbled so quickly. I suspect this is slightly more realistic, but I was looking forward to seeing Cuddy and Wilson's scheming reach new heights. Of course, it would have been hard to keep this from anyone in a small, enclosed space like a hospital, but that could have made for an interesting storyline. As it was, it felt like an up-and-back (a plot point that gets you right back to where you started) stretched out over two episodes. Kind of a cheat, in other words.

Saw the last 10 minutes of Men in Trees, too, and it hasn't grown in my estimation, though it's charmingly filmed and I like the locations they're using. Unfortunately, the last 10 minutes had that truly abysmal voiceover, read by Anne Heche. I call a general moratorium on crappy voiceover for the 2007-08 development season.

Tomorrow will be a catchup day. Promise.

No comments: