Sunday, November 19, 2006

Gone and Forgotten: South Dakota Dark's 10 Favorite Albums of All Time!



So, to keep my self busy since moving BACK to Florida, I've decided to compile a not-so-definitive list of my favorite albums of all time. I find this task both laborious and largely useless, but--I live in FLORIDA. Usually, I would preface such a list by stating that on any other day the list would be completely different. I don't think that's quite true here. I've thought about this good and long, and I think this really is about as close as I can get to relaying my musical tastes (or lack thereof) to you, the READER. So, without further ado I give you part 1 of a 10 part series!

Ten Favorite Albums of ALL TIME:



10. Prince & The Revolution, Purple Rain

Crossing over into the most main of main streams, Purple Rain saw The Artist Formerly Known as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince taking an earnest and collective look at his place in the industry and leaping forward in a most ambitious turn. Fusing his already eclectic stylings of Funk and R&B with an even more palatable mentality geared towards pop as well as straightforward rock, Purple Rain is an undeniable catalyst for most phases in mainstream music.

The nine tracks contained therein; while "dated" in some circles (I won't argue that point here) remain some of the more auspiciously perfect pop tracks one might have the pleasure of hearing. I won't say that Purple Rain simply came along at the right time. That is true, yes...but it was more than that. Any album can come along at the right time, give the masses that hint of change they seem to crave and vanish just as soon as they've served a purpose. In the case of Purple Rain, however, it seems to have a pulse and a spirit that tends to linger, going past even its most obvious attempts at individuality. It's within the grasp that Prince holds so delicately (never with too much control or too little) that provides the LP with its personality, singularity, and its larger than life heart.

Stay tuned for Part II!

No comments: