Thursday, December 14, 2006

Not dead yet

Though Blogger, apparently, wants me to be. The free-wheeling hatred that it has for the computers of the kin I went visiting this weekend has spread, somehow, to my computer -- yes, the very one that I compile this here weblog on.

Fortunately, things seem to be in rough working order -- and the excellent timing of our winter holiday meant that I missed very little television of significance and was able to catch up rather quickly (in addition to my other duties).

I'll resume the advent calendar just as soon as I can slam a few more treacly Christmas specials. But my quest to find anything Christmas-related while at home led me back to The Boondocks Christmas episode, which is one of my favorites of recent years.

So there was that.

To tide you over, here are some links for now.

--Here's the latest T.V. on TV column, which is all about How I Met Your Mother.

--Peter Casey, guest blogging for Ken Levine, tells the engrossing story of how the series Frasier came to be here, here and here.

--If you love Christmas music and you're not checking out the seasonal excitement at Lee's place, you're missing a real treat. Some of the best (and weirdest) holiday sounds you'll find are lurking just a mouse click away. (Look for "The Stingiest Man in Town," a Christmas staple of my childhood.)

--The great pro of film and TV (forever immortalized as Frankenstein's monster, Frank Barone and Clyde Bruckman -- among many, many others) Peter Boyle has died. Edward Copeland has the write-up and the place to leave your thoughts.

--Call me crazy, but I find this discussion by urban explorers of how to dig through a brick wall in a sewer tunnel to get to an unspecified treasure behind it fascinating (take a dig through the rest of the forums too to find cool stories of people exploring their cities and suburbs and local Manson family compounds).

--And finally, because it's in the name, South Dakota Senator Tim Johnson is ailing from what was and now isn't a stroke. We wish him a speedy recovery.

Finally, every night at 3 a.m., jets fly directly above my apartment building. You can't hear jets overhead at any other time of the day. Now, I live relatively close to an air reserve base, but, honestly, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! Government, I'm not above taking a stick to your jets.

No comments: