Tuesday, February 06, 2007

"These are acts of cruelty disguised as cuteness": Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . .

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . .

Okay. I want to like this show. I really do. But. . .gah. . .it's asking us to care about characters with no chemistry in relationships we haven't even seen (the entire Matt and Harriet relationship is clumsily deployed backstory) doing completely nutzo, out-of-character things (Jordan is CRAZY about Danny? Even though he STALKED her?). I mean. . .I'm not sure I LIKE any of these characters anymore. They're all mean to each other, with little-to-no provocation. Is Simon's treatment of Darius supposed to be amusing or endearing him to us? I get that he's saying that the art comes first when you're a writer, then the political and social concerns, but that still doesn't excuse him calling Darius wacky, borderline-racist names. I don't know what, exactly, that's supposed to teach us.

Okay. I still like Cal. I still like his "the show much go on" ethos. I still like that he was totally cool with sending a coyote under the floor of the theater. And I like that everything fell apart under his supervision, but it didn't really seem like it because he was such a good bluffer. Ditto Jack, who's just a good character, and is showing some new sides of his character (the one who's been relatively consistently written for the length of the series).

But other than that. . .what? HUH? And was that end montage supposed to be moving or something?

I don't get it, folks. I just don't get it.

1 comment:

David Sims said...

This episode was confusingly bad, I agree. Jordan and Danny hooking up at the end was what I expected to happen, but I also expected them to like, flirt or something when they were locked on the roof together. I think the flaw in that couple is just the utter, utter lack of chemistry in Peet & Whitford. It simply does not exist. And yeah, the Harriet & Matt relationship is so confusing because they keep alluding to a past we really have no idea about. All we know is they dated, and broke up. The whole thing was painful to watch.

To me, the most confusing thing was definitely Simon's behavior, simply because, like you, I could not figure out if Sorkin wanted us to buy it as amusing banter. I just thought it was total harassment, I couldn't really feel much sympathy for Simon being offended by Darius or whatever.

The best thing, though: THE CHINESE GUY SPOKE ENGLISH ALL ALONG! WTF?! I think Sorkin just figured out that he couldn't have a translator in the scene, so he had to make the Chinese guy just talk English! That was really, really lame. Hilariously lame. Biggest laugh of the episode for me, and not for the right reasons.