Friday, February 23, 2007

"Yeah, suck it. I DO read the paper.": 30 Rock

Now, maybe I'm the only one, but I thought this was the funniest episode of 30 Rock yet, besting even that wacky half-hour when Paul Reubens played the severely disfigured prince. Between Jack's love of negotiations, Liz and Jenna's attempts to fix Jenna's foot-in-mouth syndrome and the crab and the worm fighting, I laughed more at this episode than I have at anything since probably The Office's conflict resolution episode (the one with the complaint box from last season).

If there's a subplot that doesn't work in a given episode of 30 Rock, it's the Tracy subplot, but I thought this one did work. Tracy's entourage has always been a little silly, but adding Kenneth to it was something of a masterstroke, sending the whole thing spinning off in a new direction. Granted, having Kenneth be the no-man to the other two entourage members' yes-men was a little predictable, but his harmonizing with Tracy was funny stuff.

For me, though, the most laughs came from the dueling Liz plots, in which she tried to retain Josh (with help from Jack, who loves negotiations more than just about anything, it seems) and put out the brushfire set up when Jenna was misquoted in Maxim (and didn't Maxim name Tina Fey the second least-sexy woman on television or something? If so, this was sort of a good sport move on her part). Jenna's complete ignorance of all things political struck me as a more realistic example of Hollywood celebrities than the constant barrage we get of politically aware celebrities (and I loved the callback to the true owners of General Electric as well as Rachel Dratch's role as the MSNBC blowhard, calling for a boycott of GE, even though that would technically mean a boycott of her). Heck, I'll even give Chris Matthews and Tucker Carlson props for being agreeably goofy.

I don't have a lot else to say about this episode. I think I liked it all! What did you think?

4 comments:

bekbek said...

Last night it was just a whirl. This morning all I can think about is how Tina Fey looked right at the camera after her gay dudes and hybrid cars line. "Haha, so there!" she seemed to say.

Did I imagine it? Nobody else seems to have noted it.

Todd VanDerWerff said...

It took my second time through, bekbek, but I DID notice that little wink she gave the camera. I'm not sure what it was supposed to mean, but it was hilarious.

Also, thanks for finding my other blog and reminding me I need to clean it up and update it.

Libby said...

What Todd means is that the second time through, SOMEone caught the aside, pointed it out, REWOUND it and showed it to him.
But that's pretty much the same thing.

ITEM: On claims that this was the funniest episode yet, I was intruigued, but upon reviewing the Rubens episode, I have determined that this is a patently untrue statement.

Nandu Machiraju said...

I'd have to agree that this is one of my favorite episodes. I actually thought the Tracy Morgan subplot produced some of the best lines. From the part about helping Nigerians get money out of their country to the syllogism line in the middle, I thought Tracy had some of the best one liners of the episode.

On Chris Matthews and Tucker Carlson, I love how Matthews couldn't keep a straight face for the entire sequence.