Saturday, May 19, 2007

“Yeah, funny long list, we get it” – Scrubs

















A pretty decent double-episode finale for Scrubs. It managed to deal with the JD – Kim situation while remaining consistently funny (only the gym teacher rabbit conscience thing really fell flat) and giving every actor a chance to shine. My personal favourite part was the Janitor obsessing over what present to get for Elliott with his brain trust. (Although who else misses Randall? I guess he’s too busy making Pirates of the Caribbean movies.) JD’s developing relationship with his unborn child was also disarmingly sweet and well played by Zach Braff.

Yet despite all the aspects of this double-episode that I enjoyed, there’s only one thing I really want to talk about: JD & Kim and JD & Elliott. Personally I love the former as a couple; JD and Elliot are old news, and to get them together at this point would only render pointless their development into strong friends over the last couple seasons. Some fans argue that JD and Elliott are like Rachel and Ross (a comparison that the show itself has mocked – twice) in that they simply have to end up together. Which sort of makes sense, I guess. But to me it reeks more of an easy way out. The harder option would be to actually build up a new character that would make an ideal partner for JD and get the audience behind the relationship within a season (since the next is definitely the show’s last). I’m not denying the immensity of that challenge, but the writers are only making it more difficult for themselves by having a great character like Kim betray JD so utterly. This finale was already arguing that this act has knocked her out of the running as JD’s eventual soul mate, which is a shame because Banks is such a great actress and the two have definite chemistry.

However, I won’t be heartbroken or anything if Kim is politely nudged out of JD’s love life next season. I’m fine with a new love interest, or even with JD still single and looking by the finale. But please, please Bill Lawrence, don’t get JD and Elliott together if you don’t intend to keep them together. That would be akin to proclaiming that JD has not evolved as a character since season three. As was clearly shown by his decision to give a relationship with Kim a shot, JD is not as immature as he used to be. If the writers really do choose to repeat this tired and over-done story arc, I'll begin to question their sense of their own show.

Still, we didn’t actually see JD and Elliott get together, so maybe I’m getting ahead of myself. Either way season six has been a disappointment, but if the writers kick off season seven with JD making the mature decision and taking a step back, they’ll be on the right track already.

2 comments:

Kenny said...

I hate this JD and Elliot thing. I thought it was over when they threw it away as a joke after a whole season of build-up. I didn't mind it then, perhaps because I was less invested in the show then, and I thought it was a funny twist on TV will-they-won't-they romances.

But now... first of all, I can no longer invest in JD as a dramatic character. He's been so wacky and broad and oblivious and dumb, that I can't be bothered to care about his feelings, and I don't buy any real emotion that he has. And even if I did, I wouldn't buy his lingering feelings for Elliot, which we haven't so much as glimpsed in years.

Elliot's side is even more inexcusable. Keith has been shown to be nothing but a great guy, and her doubts are purely neurotic and completely irrational.

The worst part is, I don't know how the writers expect us to feel about the JD/Elliot pairing they're now teasing us with again. Are we supposed to want them to get together? Because I don't. Watching them nudge toward each other on the bed, I don't have even the slightest inkling of excitement, only dread that they're both making a terrible mistake that will ruin their lives for no reason. It's a decision I can't sympathize with or understand in the least, and if they do it I will hate them both as characters and never care about either again.

If it were clearly presented as an uh-oh moment, I could enjoy the show more, but the ambiguous presentation is what's worrisome to me.

Megan said...

Amen to that.