Thursday, November 08, 2007

"They’ve got a satellite aimed directly at Cuddy’s vagina. I told them the chances of invasion were slim to none... ": House



















Well, I guess it couldn’t go on forever. Last night House broke its streak of consistently great offerings with ‘Whatever It Takes’, a disappointing bore of an episode. This isn’t the end of the world, nor do I think it suggests any larger problem for the series – every show should be allowed the occasional dud. ‘Whatever It Takes’ just didn’t work on any level.

The story inter-cut between two separate narrative strands: House working for the CIA, and Foreman taking his place as head of the batch of applicants. House’s parts were by far the worst, combining a boring patient, off-putting guest stars and a bothersome level of isolation. House had virtually no contact with anyone, beyond a single phone-call to Wilson. I understand that Foreman’s story wouldn’t have worked if they’d been able to reach House, but it still bothered me, as I think both sections would have been improved by an occasional outside voice commenting on the proceedings. House’s CIA adventure proved dull, partly because Laurie had little to play and partly because of the snore-inducing guest stars. Holmes Osborne’s Dr. Curtis, a dorky anti-House, annoyed me not because of his constant moaning at House (as seemed to be the intention) but because he was so thinly drawn. As for Michael Michele…ugh. So, soooo boring. Her re-appearance at the end had me groaning. Thank God she’s not going to be around for long, or I’d be seriously worried.

Back with Foreman and the team, events were only mildly more interesting. For reasons I can’t quite pinpoint, I found the general idea of this story – Foreman struggles to stay on top of the doctors when left in charge – basically flat. I didn’t buy Grumpy getting all pissy, or the final reveal that he deliberately infected the patient with polio for the sake of more research. Come on! No way would he do that. Omar Epps was mostly fine, although he overplayed Foreman’s guilt after the initial discovery of the polio. I have to admit, however, that Cutthroat Bitch is starting to grow on me. (And I loved that House listed her as that on his phone.)

Hopefully just a one-episode lull. That is if Michael Michele doesn’t ruin next week merely through her presence.

No comments: