Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Track Review: "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs," Fall Out Boy


I was gonna keep my mouth shut on this one, but I've decided that discretion will not be the better part of valor on this day. Fall Out Boy is ridiculous. They are the bullshit, spandex-clad, hair metal of today. They just use a different means to create the atmosphere. We all know that already. However, what has always separated them from their ilk (for me anyway) was the slight appearance of self-awareness. I say slight, because, while they seem to have a good sense of humor about themselves, they clearly don't understand the joke that they will be looked back upon as. But, whatever, it's all in good fun. Here's the best part though: it has gotten so much worse. As a result, the music ( a seriously strange blend of emo and pop topped off by massive egomania) and its almost campy entertainment value has only exponentially increased. They seem to be in a place now where they feel that they should present the idea that they are this self-aware troupe of clever blokes, but only seem to prove the exact opposite with their music. And it is awesome. "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs" is a perfect example of this go-for-broke sonic assault that they apparently employ on Infinity on High (which I have only heard a few tracks from). Symphonic, harmonic, melodic; every aspect turned up to 11--and why the fuck not? The louder you play the better you sound. That's a medical fact! What these fools lack in originality and genuine talent they more than compensate for with an unsurprising knack for unsubtle melodies (which pretty much always work) and a now apparent penchant for the grandiose. This kind of spectacle will almost always strike a chord with me. I would call this song a guilty pleasure if only I felt guilty.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

well all i can say is that your a stupid litle prat who has nothing better to do with his life than poke fun at the worlds best band.... get a life and get a fall out boy cd weirdo!

Carrie said...

Anonymous is awesome. Also, possibly Pete Wentz.

This band totally blows. But, I will admit, "Sugar, I'm Going Down" is hella catchy and I totally have it in my iTunes. But catchy crap is still crap.

Daniel said...

That is, without a doubt, the best comment that has ever been left for me.

Anonymous said...

Fuk you who ever wrote down this whole crap about Fall Out Boy!!!Cuz Fall Out Boy rocks!!Fuk its the best band of the whole damn world!!!They are sooooooo great. You say that they suck cuz your life is a piece of crap... get yourself a life and all of thier C.Ds!!!Your a :poC-S-MF-HS-AH-DA!!!that meens some kinda bad stuff so now,mother fu**** start liking them!!! Im not calling you mother fu**** cuz i dont knoaw you just cuz you cal Fall Out Boy a piece of crap and everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now, you know what to do.Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hi hi hi hi hi hi hi!!!!!!!!!

Daniel said...

This wasn't quite as good. But I appreciate the effort, friend.

ifyouhatefalloutboygosuckadick said...

fuk u if u think that they suck go suck ur moms peenis

Anonymous said...

you can go fuck yourself fall out boy controlls the world get a life you asshole fall out boy could kick yor ass anyday so f*** off u f*******
understand f*****

Anonymous said...

Honestly. How long did it take you to write that whole blog article?? I think fall out boy is the best band, but I respect your thoughts. But remember, its an opinion, keep it to yourself.

Daniel said...

I am legend.

A said...

After reading all that, I still don't know if you like it or not. And I still don't care about fall out boy.

Who's Carrie?

Daniel said...

Well, A

I don't find Fallout Boy a particularly enjoyable band. However, I can appreciate their talents on this particular track as, in my opinion, they come together perfectly.

Also, I MISS YOU.

P.S. I both regret and rejoice at the fact that I wote this "review" every day. It took me all of ten miutes to "write," yet I have accumulated a plethora of responses ranging from clearly satirical to genuinely disapproving. It's amazing!

Anonymous said...

I really think you should of stopped at "I was going to keep my mouth shut." Fall Out Boy is a great band. i admit, i may not be one of those psychotic fans screaming for Pete Wentz to marry me, but i do believe that their music is not only entertaining but truthful in its own sense. They also have fun doing what they love most, playing their music, and thats alot more than anyone could say about a lot of the musicians today who seem obsessed with the object of money.

ryan said...

Fall Out Boy is deffinately a talented group of musicians, theyre total sell outs, but who cares! they still get stuck in my head

Daniel said...

LOL

Yes

Fallout Boy:

The one beacon of truth in a music industry obsessed with the DOLLAHS.

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

hey, it doesnt matter if you like or dont like fall out boy, nobody else can change someone else's opinion, you may think its bad but hey who cares! i listen to the music anyway. by the way, nice picture of fall out boy on your "article", and also you spelt fall out boy wrong.. its fall out boy not fallout boy...

Daniel said...

Sick burn!

I will shut up now.

fall out boy rox my world! said...

well, everyone has a opinion. and mine is FALL OUT BOY IS THE BEST BAND EVER! i luv those guys and music. if rolling stones approves them, well that is really good. but, i'm not one to tell you your opinion sux, b/c mine does 2 sometimes. like high skool musical is the dunbest thing ever, ppl disagree w/ me. oh well idc!