Sunday, January 06, 2008

"Pilot" - Cashmere Mafia. episode 1.1

Photobucket

So here we are. Take 4 female friends, New York City, and a helping of workplace politics and other gender issues and we have "Cashmere Mafia," a new ABC series from executive producer Darren Star of "Sex and the City" fame. I doubt they'll be turning "Cashmere Mafia" into a feature film, but the pilot has its charms....

The Cashmere Mafia are four business school friends who have each risen to prominence in New York business and social circles. I wish the pilot had been a little more specific about what each of the women did. Only Mia Mason (Lucy Liu) gets sufficient exposition. She's up for the publisher of a major media conglomerate, but the central story arc of the pilot concerns the fact that she's competing against Jack Cutting (Tom Everett Scott). Jack is aggressive, talented, and (after the opening scene) Mia's fiance. The two are pitted against each other to sell the most ad pages in a week; the winner gets the job and the loser is out on the street. The Mia-Jack storyline sets up a central theme of the show. Mia keeps a client that the two are competing for out so late he cancels a meeting with Jack the next day. When he complains she points out that she wasn't invited when men made the rules, so she's got to fend for herself. Even if Mia and her friends are just as capable and driven, sometimes they've still got to do something extra.

Caitlin Dowd (Bonnie Somerville, whose credits include roles on "Friends," "The O.C.," and "NYPD Blue") is the "head of marketing" somewhere, but we're never told more about what this means. I was pleasantly surprised to discover - when Caitlin locks eyes with a cute female business contact named Alicia (Lourdes Benedicto) - that she's a budding lesbian. Caitlin immediately runs to confess her sexual confusion to her brother, who turns out to be an incredibly open-minded Catholic priest. Somerville's reaction after getting a kiss from Alicia is the most touching moment of the episode.

Less well developed is Zoe (Frances O'Connor), who has child care issues and a husband who travels for business. When a nanny they've hired turns out to be a ninny, we get a monologue about how the women entering the work force now have a sense of entitlement while women of the Cashmere Mafia's generation were forced to kick, scratch, and sometimes be grateful for what they could get at work. The final Mafiosa is Juliet (elegant Miranda Otto), whose husband breaks their tacit understanding by sleeping with someone in the ladies' social circle. The pilot ends with Juliet and her friends trying to decide who she should take as a revenge lover.

All four actresses look fabulous and are tremendously appealing. I was particularly happy to see Liu get to show a lighter side and some vulnerability, she hasn't had much chance since making her bones with hard-ass characters on "Ally McBeal" and in "Charlie's Angels." My worry is that each lady will be saddled with one "thing" (career, mommy, gay, sex) that defines them and makes their interactions with each other predictable or cliched. I'm not going to pretend "Cashmere Mafia" isn't mostly light entertainment, but a smart show about women fighting on both the work and home front (including against younger women) has a chance. "Cashmere Mafia" returns Wednesday at 10; since "Life" on NBC has disappeared for the moment I'll be following the fortunes of Mia and the ladies.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I watched this pilot months ago so I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I have to say that as a woman I found this show pretty insulting. I think the show is supposed to be on the side of the women who "want it all," but after watching the women just get systematically punished for having the audacity to be smart and successful I just couldn't take much more. I understand that was the point of the show, but something about the way they handled it rubbed me exactly the wrong way. There's a fine line between showing what really happens and condoning what happens, and I think this show fell too far on the side of condoning. When Otto's character discusses the "revenge lover," that's when I knew I was out for good. Every happiness in these women's lives came from a relationship with a man, a concept I found extremely insulting and contradictory to the entire idea of examining successful women. But at least they had fabulous shoes! (barf)

I think there is an interesting show to be made about super-successful women but this isn't it, at least for me. NBC's Lipstick Jungle is slightly more agreeable, simply because it has a lightheartedness Cashmere Mafia lacks and doesn't spend the pilot hour punishing women for being a female in a male society.

(Whoa, that was a long rant-y thing. Sorry 'bout that.)

Simon Crowe said...

No need to apologize. I see what you're getting at but I guess I'd need to see more episodes before agreeing with you. Thanks for your comment, I'll definitely keep it mind while doing future posts.

miecky said...

Nice blog dude. You know Cashmere Mafia is my favorite show. I am crazy about this show. Simon Crowe your comment shows that you want to Watch Cashmere Mafia Episodes. I know a site where you can Watch all its episodes and important thing all these episodes you can watch in free. You can go to this site from the link given in my comment.

Anita said...

It seems to be lot of work done here.. Gr8 Buddy!! The info provided here are quite useful. I have done lot of search on Google and found one new link to Watch Cashmere Mafia Episodes . Good one, trust me!