Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Deeply Superficial Blog-a-Thon: Nudes As the News (The Album Cover-a-Thon)


As online music sales--or lack there of (if ya catch my drift)--have become more and more of a factor in the music industry, the death of the LP has been forecasted…to death. And, really, that’s all well and good. I don’t particularly agree that it will happen like this, but that’s fine. As people have more and more of a choice on how they purchase albums, and what songs they can purchase off of an album, I can certainly see things going this way in the future. I mean, I have no evidence to the contrary. What important element I think we miss in this discussion though, is what--if anything--happens to the unsung heroes of the album cover? I’ve always enjoyed album covers and liner notes as much as the next guy. Sure sometimes it remains…superfluous in nature, but it is the standard! Album covers exist for the same reasons that covers exist on any product for consumption: it adds to the aesthetic value and gives the product a unique identity—or, at least, attempts to do so

So, in the spirit of the superficiality being celebrated this week, I thought I would take a minute to list a handful (JUST A HANDFUL) of what I find to be some of the most beautiful, funny, apt, unique, or just plain ridiculous album covers in all the history of RECORDED TIME (not really). I find that these covers, in all their superficial glory, actually may add to the overall enjoyment of the finished product simply by existing. Also, to heighten the shallow nature being put on display, I’m just going to shut up and post them. No explanation. No discussion. Just look at the purdy pictures, will ya? Enjoy!





































4 comments:

Kittle said...

Nice touch with the Chris Gaines cover.

Carrie said...

Chris Gaines...hee hee hee hee hee hee. I forgot about that.

Here's my favorite album cover.

Roger Green said...

The LP actually INCREASED in sales from the previous year. Palltry numbers, to bev sure, cf w/ the LP heyday, but there it is.

Daniel said...

Fair enough.

Like I said, I don't really have any evidence to back up either side of the "argument," but I do hear about the one side often.

Obviously, my POINT is:

CHRIS GAINES IS TEH COOLNESS.