Sunday, July 27, 2008

Welcome to The X-Files Blog-a-Thon!



Updated through Sunday, July 27

Welcome to The X-Files Blog-a-Thon, a weeklong celebration of all things Scully and Mulder as we count down the days to the big, new movie, which will promptly be subsumed by having to go up against week two of The Dark Knight and whatever that Will Ferrell movie is. But, hey, we're the faithful. We'll be there for you, Chris Carter. Sorry for the late start, but this means more concentrated, X-Files-ian goodness for you.

Follow along after the jump for a list of posts involved in the Blog-a-Thon and instructions on how, yes, you, too, can be a part of the excitement.

To add your post to the list, please comment on this post, or e-mail me. If you don't have a blog and/or don't want a blog, please e-mail me an RTF file containing your work, and I'll post it here at SDD (I'll even do a quick copy edit, free of charge). If the link above doesn't work (I can never remember how to do the mail links), just use todd at vanderwerff dot us. I'll be happy to help you out.

This post will be updated throughout the Blog-a-Thon. I'll be updating throughout the week with thoughts on some of my favorite episodes from the show's run. In the meantime, please check out some thoughts I had on season three's Jose Chung's "From Outer Space" back in February of 2006, when my writing sucked a lot more. I'll be rewriting on the episode for this blog-a-thon (I consider it one of the finest in American television history), and I'll also take looks at other favorites like "Beyond the Sea," "The Post-Modern Prometheus" and hopefully a few episodes that DON'T work quite as well.

Settle in and have a seat. And keep watching the skies.



Monday, July 21

Here at SDD, I wrote about The X-Files '70s cop show roots and also made a strained comparison between Lost and The Love Boat. And lo, it was good.

Tuesday, July 22

You know, the rest of you can write something. It just seems odd when I'm the only one writing about Darin Morgan or whatever. But I'll be fine! Go on ahead!



Wednesday, July 23

Well, I apparently picked a good day to be too busy to blog, as Michael over at Patchwork Earth has a few thoughts on what other shows have learned from the way The X-Files became a hit and the way it fell apart. It's a very interesting read.



Thursday, July 24

Again, I'm backed up with work, so I won't have a post up tonight, but check out Bob over at Gee Bobg, who's theorizing about the sudden lack of prominence the X-Files holds in our pop culture (and theorizing about why this is such a sparsely attended Blog-a-Thon, though I suspect that has as much to do with my lack of self-promotion as anything else).

And I was remiss in not linking to Jamie Weinman's thoughts on my post of a few days ago (the one about '70s Cop Shows) over at TV Guidance. Great stuff.



Friday, July 25

So the new movie came out today, and the nation responded with a resounding "meh," if early box office figures are any indication. The critics weren't too kind, but if you want to read a borderline review, check out this one from The House Next Door's Keith Uhlich.

Meanwhile, DW at Ambience of Media has some thoughts on how the show often shortchanges Scully in its arguments and rarely invites the audience into them, as well as some kind words for Jose Chung's (weirdly, I have a lot of the same thoughts on an advance review of Fringe I'm working on for tomorrow).

Sunday, July 27

Here at SDD, Carrie wrote about her first encounter with the final season of The X-Files, even after she spent years telling people it was her favorite show of all time.

15 comments:

Culture Snob said...

Todd: On what date does the blog-a-thon end? In other words, what constitutes "weeklong"?

Todd said...

I'll probably keep this running through Monday, since we got a bit of a late start.

And, of course, if you get a post up late, I'll always be happy to add the link to this post, even if you get it in in July 2009.

Michael Peterson said...

I've just finished my entry:

http://patchworkearth.net/?p=99

Cautionary Tales: The Legacy of "The X-Files -

"The show was designed as a cautionary tale of sorts, showing us the world that could be available to us if we don’t avert our gaze from the strange and the unexplained. We must want to believe - both in science, and in higher powers, and in other things that we don’t yet understand. In the show’s eventual breakdown, however, it offered a cautionary tale of a more concrete nature, and it’s one that has influenced every aspect of modern television."

Allan said...

For a good look at UFO mania, see Allan Mazur's new book, Implausible Beliefs in the Bible, Astrology, and UFOs.

medrawt said...

I don't think it's enough of a point to spin into a blog post, but one thing I found interesting a few years when I worked my way through the show on DVD was that, in comparison to other shows that I held in similar (or higher) regard, Chris Carter himself seemed oddly disconnected from the pulse of the show. DVD extra after extra led me to believe that all he really wanted to do was remake Kolchak: The Night Stalker (never having seen it, does it vibe with the 70s cop show aesthetic?), and he never succeeded. X-Files got out of hand, creatively, which I think was the driving impulse behind Millennium, but after the first season that show also spun away from being what Carter really wanted: an anthology horror show with minimal continuity and some interesting characters. (And when someone from the X-Files shop did explicitly remake Kolchack, it was Frank Spotnitz, and as best as I can tell Carter wasn't involved in the effort. I always found that kind of sad.)

Also vital was that the fifth season was supposed to be the end of the show and the movie was to launch a transition into a film franchise, but FOX strongarmed/offered dumptrucks of $ to keep the show going, stretching the mythology past its breaking point and past, I felt, Carter's own interest. The phenomenal mass appeal of the show, despite the strength of the best MOW episodes, was driven by the Scully/Mulder dynamic and the unfolding of the mythology, both of which were inimical to the "anthology horror show" vision Carter was clinging to. When, towards the end, Carter famously said that he thought the show could go for another ten years with Doggett and Reyes, it seemed like the ultimate disconnect between what he found creatively interesting and what the show's fans had come to want.

This also probably has to do with my feeling that Carter's rank in his own show's writing staff is not particularly lofty compared to the creators on other great shows, but I'd have to go diving through episode credits to think about that with any rigor.

Carrie said...

Okay, ARGH. I just got back from the movie (my quick review: "meh" on the case, "above average" on the Mulder/Scully relationship) and I read the review you linked to, Todd, and found out I needed to stay through the credits. Can we get some kind of moratorium on cute/important things that happen during or after the credits? I don't like to read about a movie before I see it, so I never know I have to stay until the end and I really don't want to have to stay until the end of EVERY credit sequence just to see if something is going to happen. Iron Man burned me on this as well.

Is anyone else as annoyed by this as I am? Or am I the only heathen here who doesn't stay through the credits out of respect for the hundreds of people who work on a film? I can respect the work those people did from the parking lot without reading their names, I promise. (Also: can someone please tell me what happens in the credits? Thanks.)

Mark, The MAD Hatter said...

It is a shame this was only a week long blog. I recently received the "Uncover The Truth Collection" from my girlfriend, and I am re-watching the whole lot. Check out "My X Files Experience

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this nice Blog Well I want to Download X-Files episodes and hope i would get all the episodes here.

Cathy said...

The X-Files crew members James Castle, Bruce Bryant and Carol Johnsen won the Emmy Award for
Outstanding Individual Achievement in Graphic Design and Title Sequences in 1994.Two thumbs up for you guys! I love watching this tv series

AGirlNamedEvangeline. said...

Hope you like my blog!:
http://awomanofquestionablemorals.blogspot.com/2009/08/all-lies-lead-to-truth-x-files.html

Anonymous said...

Yeah its a Nice Blog!! You just have to change the theme color Because its very dark. Well i got all the info about X-File. I have a good stuff to The X-File download all the episodes.

download x files said...

The movie has done well despite of tough competition.I really liked the movie and now i want to download x files movie in order to add the movie into my all time favorite collection.David has done a really great work in the movie as well.

Kevin C said...

Thanks for the blog. I live down the block from where Duchovney's grew up in the east village in NYC

jsalexandra said...

It’s a fabulous blog. Certainly the best one I have been to. There is so much of info about the show. I am a huge fan of the x files show; all the x files seasons have been so entertaining. The show has been a huge success over a large period of time and now the XF movies are creating new success stories.

每当遇见你 said...

Here’s a list of tools you will need to start: Jewelers’ pandora jewellery wire cutters - If you can only afford one pair, get memory wire shears. pandora charms These are designed to make clean cuts on tough memory wire, so can also be used for pandora charms uk softer wires. Chain-nose pliers sometimes called cheap pandora charms needle-nose pliers – Very versatile for picking up and grasping small items, pandora charms sale bending eye pins, closing jumps rings, even closing crimp beads. discount pandora charms Round-nose pliers – Used for creating loops on beaded head and eye pins. Can also be used for winding your own jump rings and as the second pliers you’cheap pandora ll need for closing jump rings. Optional pliers – Wire-looping pliers which have several graduated circumferences to allow you to form perfectly uniform jump rings and loops in place of the pandora discount uk round-nose pliers mentioned above. Crimping pliers which have little notches to allow you to both flatten a crimp bead and then bend it to form a rounded finished look instead of the flat crimp you pandora uk get using the chain-nose pliers. As for materials, I recommend some assortment packs of beads in coordinating colors, some decorative metal spacers, seed beads in both silver and gold These can serve as spacers and beautifully set off pandora sale your other beads., tube-shaped crimp beads Buy the best you can find – these are what hold it all together!, head and eye pins. Other than that, let your choice of project be your guide. You might want some silver or pewter charms.